Ginoogaming First NationChoose Life Coordinator
Choose Life Coordinator
The goal of this service is to provide support and the development of solutions to address suicide and protect youth at risk of suicide for Ginoogaming First Nation children and youth in support of their holistic well-being. To work collaboratively with other programs, including Choose Life Cultural coordinators, health services, and other multi-disciplinary professionals such as teachers and counsellors/psychologists. The intent of the collaboration is to strengthen a widening circle of care responsive to the needs of community members, youth and children by offering Suicide Prevention and Intervention focused programming that will improve and
promote the mental and emotional well-being focusing on the at-risk youth; Services will be community based with various delivery methods including use of the Healing Camp.
General duties include:
Strategic and Operational Planning
- To provide awareness and messaging on the Choose Life application process;
- To provide a case management role in assisting Ginoogaming First Nation in the completion, submission and tracking of the application process`;
- To develop a database and gather relevant information to ensure that applications are processed and followed up with by Health Canada;
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with other First Nation communities in the Nishnawbe Aski area;
- Complete and maintain case records including completing required documentation in a timely manner;
- Research, analyze and document program requirements effectively;
- Develop and implement community-based programs that address the needs of the community members;
- Attend and actively participate in team meetings and treatment conferences in order to facilitate coordinated service delivery through sharing information;
- Provide education and training to community members, staff, committees regarding assessment, planning, and intervention with respect to families and groups;
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings and staff development training sessions as suggested by your Manager, Chief and Council
- Band Rep service providers
- Cultural coordinators
- Family Support/Family Well Being
- Mental Health & Addictions Navigator
- Ontario Works
- Various outside/government organizations
- Band Manager
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as necessary in the performance of the position and as assigned by Chief and Council.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A positive role model able to perform employment related duties in a respectful, responsible and ethical manner;
- Ability to work individually and as a team
- Ability to keep confidential records and documentation current and safekeeping of all of all client records;
- Ability to pass a criminal records check and vulnerable sector check if required;
- Effective verbal, presentation and listening communication skills;
- Computer skills with Microsoft word, excel, outlook, powerpoint and other related software programs;
- A valid Ontario ‘G’ License, and access to own personal vehicle.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Two (2) years’ experience in early intervention services/health related field,
- Degree or diploma in the Social Services field, or health related diploma and or degree and/or five years related education and practical experience,
- Previous training and work experience within the First Nations people, communities, culture, traditions and teachings and clear understanding of related issues and challenges,
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Environmental Conditions (optional):
- Physical Effort: Moderate physical effort
- Physical Environment: Office environment and public forums
- Sensory and Mental Attention: Dependent on activity at hand
- Professional appearance.
- Follow all GFN Policies and Procedures and display a commitment to the values and culture of the GFN.
- Ability to successfully and periodically undergo an appropriate criminal records review and police record check is required.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as necessary in the performance of the position and as assigned by the department manager, Band Manager or Chief and Council.
Please submit your resume to:
Debbie Charles, HR Manager
PO Box 89, Longlac, ON P0T 2A0
Closing Date: Until Filled
Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview